Sunday

Thoughts on Rattlesnakes

I live in the country and over the years have encountered hundreds of rattlesnakes.

I have never been bitten. One just learns to be very vigilant.

Myth or Fact:

Cats keep rattlesnakes away.

We used to have cats and I have personally observed a group of three cats surrounding a rattlesnake.

They stayed just out of striking distance.

The snake was coiled, highly agitated and had his rattlers humming full blast.

The cats were kind of lounging around, looking off into the distance, yawning, like they were bored to death.

Therefore, I concluded that the cats don’t actually kill the rattler. The just irritate him so much he finally leaves.

Of course, cats do that to me sometimes so I understand his feelings.

However, I didn’t wait around to test my theory.

I just made sure he departed, for good.

Rattlesnakes Have Hypnotic Powers

I have always heard that rattlesnakes have hypnotic powers but scientists seem to say it is nonsense.

However, my grandfather often told the story of watching a rattlesnake stare down a rabbit. The rabbit would leave, make a small circle and then return to in front of the snake.

Finally the rattler struck and that was the end of the rabbit.

Rattlesnakes always rattle before striking.

All the snakes I knowingly have encountered have rattled a warning. If they had not, I would have been snake bit on a number of occasions.

However, I have heard people tell of snakes that struck without a rattle and I believe them, especially if a snake is surprised.

One thing I am sure of is that if they didn’t rattle before striking there would be large numbers of snake bites in the county.

I have had both dogs and horses bitten by rattlers and it is not a pretty sight.

They developed a huge swelling, then an abscess, then tremendous amounts of drainage.

They were very sick for about a week.

All but one dog recovered, none the worse.

Rattlesnakes are slimy.

Actually they are dry and rough to the touch on top and on the belly smooth but not slimy.

Finally, I have often heard that a cowboy sleeping on the open range used to surround himself with his rope and no rattlesnake would cross it.

As far as I can find, this is a complete myth.

But if it made him sleep better, then whatever.

I sure wouldn't rely on it.

Do you have any stories about rattlesnakes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home